Looking for an easy, flavorful meal for dinner tonight? How about one with common ingredients and uses as few dishes as possible?? Here’s your new favorite dinner recipe- One Pot Greek Lemon Chicken and Rice Skillet!
You probably have the ingredients to make this meal in your kitchen already, so go ahead and make the marinade now! It needs at least 20 minutes to flavor the chicken but if you’re proactive you can let it marinade overnight for even greater flavors. Seth and I LOVE this marinade- we’ve prepped freezer bags of this stuff so we have it ready to go at a moment’s notice!
I suggest cooking this meal in a cast iron skillet like the one pictured. We used a 10 inch skillet and it was the perfect size. In addition, the original recipe from Recipe Tin Eats calls for 5 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on. We substituted 6 chicken tenderloins because it was all we had. I’ll copy the original recipe below and include our method!
This One Pot Greek Lemon Chicken and Rice would be so delicious with some roasted asparagus or broccoli, or even a fresh Greek salad! As always, tag me on Instagram @thegallagherhomestead if you make this meal! I’d love to see you enjoying it!
One Pot Greek Lemon Chicken and Rice
Chicken and Marinade
- 5 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on (we used 6 chicken tenderloins instead)
- 1-2 lemons, use the zest and lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced (we used a *small* white onion)
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- finely chopped fresh parsley or oregano (optional)
- fresh lemon zest
- Combine chicken and marinade ingredients in ziplock bag and let marinate for at least 20 minutes to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove chicken from marinade bag but keep the Marinade.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in cast iron skillet or large skillet over medium high heat.
- Place chicken skin side down in skillet, searing until golden brown. Then flip to other side until golden brown. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Pour off any fat and wipe skillet with paper towel to remove brown bits.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add diced onion and saute until translucent. Then add remaining Rice ingredients and reserved Marinade.
- Let liquid come to a simmer and simmer for 30 seconds. Place browned chicken THIGHS on top of rice /liquid then place a lid (or foil or baking sheet) on the skillet. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Then remove lid and bake for another 10 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. (45 minutes total.)
- IF USING BREAST/TENDERLOINS- Let liquid come to a simmer and simmer for 30 seconds. Place a lid (or foil or baking sheet) on skillet and bake in oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, place chicken BREAST/TENDERLOINS on top of rice, replace lid, and bake for 15 minutes. Then remove lid and bake for another 10 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Still 45 minutes total! Breasts don’t need as long to cook or they will dry out.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. The spices settled on top of the rice, so I took a fork and fluffed the rice and herbs together before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley/oregano and lemon zest if desired.